Pride And Prejudice: The Composium.

I am compiling a list of recommendations and links to everything Pride and Prejudice related. Of course, the only thing I can do with the movie adaptations is provide a list of places that it’s available, but I’ll do my best.

Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen: The book:

Pride and Prejudice cover

A very good book, one I’ve read countless times. Definitely among the best of Jane Austen’s works, if not the best. However, given that it was written in the 1800s and the authors back then had not yet learned the value of clean, concise language, there are some bits I tend to skip when I read. I do that. I’ll read a book all the way through the first time, just to make sure I don’t miss any good parts, and then the second time through I skip all of the boring or bad parts. Books tend to be classified by how often I need to skip pages, although any book that’s not at least reasonably good doesn’t end up finished. Anyway. I digress.

Pride and Prejudice: 2005

Pride and Prejudice 2005

I love this movie, I really do. It’s my favorite adaptation of Pride and Prejudice that I’ve seen so far. It only has the good bits! Yay! The good bits embellished with dazzling scenery and beautiful people! And, of course, Keira Knightley as Elizabeth. I will never be able to picture anyone else in that role. She pulls off fiery Regency heroine so well. (See: Elizabeth Swann in the Pirates of the Caribbean.) It captures the main, important storyline, the Darcy/Elizabeth love story, without having to meticulously add in every tiny subplot that was in the book, or having to portray in detail every moment of their lives. Also, I love the subtle body language cues, and one of my favorite scenes (EVER) is when he hands her into the carriage and then flexes his hand as he walks away.

Pride and Prejudice: BBC Miniseries.

pride-and-prejudice-1995-restored-2010-x-250

I keep trying to watch this, because everyone says it’s really, really good, and it has a 9.2 out of 10 rating on IMDB, but I just… can’t. After about five minutes of dramatic dialogue and people walking I get bored. I’m pretty superficial, and the fact that the characters aren’t really all that attractive–at all–kind of kills it for me too. I mean, apparently it’s very accurate, with 6 hour long episodes lovingly detailing every part of the book, so if that’s your thing, be sure to check it out.

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

LBDLogo

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries are a multimedia production of Pride and Prejudice, based mainly in Youtube, which has the basic story of Pride and Prejudice except centered around a 24 year old grad student named Elizabeth Bennet running a video blog from her bedroom. It’s very clever and well-acted, with the script brilliantly modernized into something that feels authentically modern-day while still holding true to the original story. Warning: Definitely PG-13, so you maybe want to watch it before telling your 10 year old daughter to. Nothing bad ever happens, like, on camera, but they are college students and the equivalent of Lydia’s *spoiler alert*  “living in sin” with Mr. Wickham, (which is not a huge deal in the 21st century) is pretty awful. Also, Mr. Wickham is emotionally abusive and manipulative, so, trigger warning, I guess? Still, five stars, and you should definitely check out Pemberly Digital’s other classic adaptations. I think right now they’re doing an adaptation of Frankenstein, so yay, how cool is that?

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

I have never read this book. I really need to. Basically, someone decided one day, out of the blue, that what Pride and Prejudice really needed more than anything else is zombies. And ninjas. And zombie-killing ninjas who get bitten and turn into zombies. It’s apparently set in an alternate universe version of Regency England, and 75 percent of the words are still the original Jane Austen text. The other 25 percent deal with the zombies. I haven’t read it, so I can’t give you a detailed review, but the link in the bolded title will lead you to Goodreads, with all of their legions of reviewers. AND THERES A MOVIE. It’s coming out in 2015.

 

 

 

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Check This Out! and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Discuss! Reply! Give feedback!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s